Switching to a low carbohydrate high fat diet doesn't have to be difficult. The key to success is planning ahead so you get rid of the foods that you need to avoid and always have the foods that you need close to hand.
So to start with, get rid of the following:
- Confectionary, lollies & milk chocolate
- Potato chips
- Soft drink & juices
- All forms of sugar (white, brown, honey, agave syrup, corn syrup etc)
- Breakfast cereals
- All products labelled "low fat" or "no fat"
- Biscuits, cookies & crackers
Then go shopping for:
- Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel etc)
- Plain Greek Yoghurt
- Vegetables that grow above the ground
- Nuts (Macadamias, pecans, walnuts & almonds are great)
- Olive oil & coconut oil
- Strawberries, raspberries & blueberries
Now you've got what you need for some great LCHF meals:
- Eggs & bacon with spinach & avocado
- An omelet with cheese
- Boiled eggs with some canned tuna
- Greek yoghurt with sprinkle of nuts & berries
- A piece of cheese with some ham or salami
Lunch & Dinner
- Meat, fish or chicken dishes with vegetables and a rich full-fat sauce. Instead of potato, try mashed cauliflower.
- Stews, soups or casseroles with low-carb vegetables such as bolognese sauce with zucchini strips.
When you eat a low carbohydrate diet with more fat and a bit more protein you will probably not need to eat as often. Don’t be surprised if you no longer need to snack, but if you do want something, they these ideas.
- Rolled-up cheese or ham with some cucumber or other salad vegetables
- A piece of cheese
- A boiled egg from the refrigerator
The most important thing to remember is not to fear fat. Eating natural fats will help you to stay full for longer and will reduce food cravings.